Do you love live music? Think nothing better of gigging in sweaty basements unearthing the next big thing? If so we could be looking for you, the next Live Music and Gigs Editor for one of Europe’s most rapidly growing primary ticket agencies Skiddle.
We’ve recently rebranded to focus on three main spheres, festivals, clubs/dance music and gigs/live music, and the successful candidate would focus on our message for the latter. You will be creating content for both our social networks and news sections, and working with our live music team to best promote the shows we have on sale and grow our stature in this area.
You’ll be a journalist with an undeniable passion for live music, be it guitar laden indie, rambunctious hip hop or pummeling metal. Someone with the flair to create engaging copy that manages to encapsulate the gig experience and all it encompasses without being salesy or over bearing. You’ll have a clear distinct tone and experience relating to an audience eager to learn more about live music, helping shape Skiddle as one of the authorities in this arena.
The perfect candidate will possess the following attributes:
- Experience of writing about live music on a consistent basis
- Excellent copywriting/journalism skills and impeccable spelling and grammar
- A good knowledge of and interest in contemporary music, particularly rock, indie, hip hop, metal and pop.
- A willingness to work outside of the normal 9-5 routine – you will be expected to attend gigs and festivals regularly
- A proactive attitude
- Highly motivated and organised, with the ability to juggle several tasks at once
- Evidence of working with colleagues at differing levels within a business
- Good industry contacts
- Experience of working with paid and voluntary writers
- NCTJ qualified
- At least a year’s editorial experience, preferably in an online setting
- Experience of website management using a CMS
- Experience of live streaming on Facebook, Periscope or other channel
- A degree in English, Journalism or other relevant subject area
- Experience of managing the social media presence for an organisation
- Full driving licence and your own vehicle
- Managing Skiddle.com’s busy editorial section focused on live music in the UK.
- Capturing what makes gigs so exciting for a young savvy audience by writing and commissioning features, previews and news stories
- You’ll be based in our offices but will also have the opportunity to work from home as well as travel the UK to meet music industry professionals and attend award ceremonies
- Regularly interviewing promoters, artists and bands with excellent access to key figures in the music industry
- Editing and proofreading all editorial content
- Uploading and managing content and images using a CMS
- Working closely with account managers and other colleagues to ensure that all events have full editorial coverage
- Arranging press accreditation for gigs, and managing an editorial budget alongside a team of freelance contributors
- Being partially responsible for Skiddle’s social media presence across Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
- Actively recruiting new contributors
- Seeking out and spotting new opportunities for driving traffic to the site
You will be required to work in a combination of our open plan HQ just outside Preston (just off J31a on the M6) and our new Manchester city centre office, so whilst a driving licence isn’t essential you will need to able to get to these offices at least four times a week (the job allows some work from home hours). Salary is negotiable depending on experience, to apply please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications is Friday 30th December 4pm